Ducab Aluminium Company launched in Abu Dhabi’s KIZAD

DAC1 newDAC’s new facility is located in KIZAD, halfway between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. (Image source: Ducab)HH Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince’s Court, today inaugurated Ducab Aluminium Company (DAC) in the Khalifa Industrial Zone of Abu Dhabi (KIZAD), which is a joint venture between Ducab, the UAE-based leading manufacturer of high-quality cables and cabling products, and Senaat, one of the largest holding companies in the UAE’s industrial sector

Ducab holds 40 per cent of the company while Senaat owns the remaining 60 per cent.

The new company is the result of a US$60mn investment that seeks to strengthen the UAE’s industrial supply chain in line with the UAE strategy to champion industrial investments.

DAC cooperates with Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA) to supply the new manufacturer with molten aluminium in a unique collaborative model to promote partnership strategies among national institutions. The new company will also aim to strengthen the UAE’s industrial supply chain in line with the national strategy to enhance industrial investment opportunities across the country. 

DAC will manufacture 50,000 metric tonnes of high quality electrical grade aluminium rod and overhead conductor per annum once it reaches its full capacity, supplying to both local and international customers.

The Ducab production plant in KIZAD will be the company’s sixth in the UAE with three facilities in Musaffah and two in Dubai. 

Eng. Jamal Salem Al Dhaheri, chairman of Ducab and CEO of Senaat, and now also the chairman of Ducab Aluminium Company, said, “The launch of Ducab Aluminium Company extends the UAE’s industrial capabilities and addresses the growing aluminium market globally. DAC has signed a long-term partnership with its neighbour EGA for the supply of molten aluminium to the facility along KIZAD’s “Hot Metal Road”. With this special partnership with EGA, we are now positioned to offer tailored products for the electrical supply chain, optimising local resources in line with the Abu Dhabi Economic Vision 2030. Moreover, the new company will substitute substantial imports of aluminium rods and overhead lines into the UAE, and help build a competitive edge for ‘Made-in-UAE’ industrial products.” 

Officials from both sides also confirmed that the facility will be export-oriented with 75 per cent of the products sold outside the GCC; 15 per cent within the GCC; and the UAE will share 10 per cent of the product range coming out of the new facility.

“Ducab Aluminium Company marks an important milestone in the UAE aluminium sector and adds to a growing number of downstream ventures in aluminium being developed in KIZAD as part of the UAE’s ambitions to further diversify the national economy. Proximity to Port Khalifa is a real advantage for this export orientated business. DAC has already signed rod supply contracts to service customers across the GCC, India, Lebanon, North America and select markets in Africa. Further expansions are also being planned for Latin America and Europe as DAC targets export sales of over AED300 million in 2018,” added Ahmad Bin Hassan Al Shaikh, vice-chairman of Ducab and DAC Board Member.

The new DAC facility has been built in KIZAD close to Emirates Global Aluminium, the fifth largest aluminium producer in the world, which will expand the growing opportunity to provide a reliable and sustainable source of production and distribution of high-quality ISO9001 certified aluminium. The proximity of DAC to the EGA plant provides an ideal supply chain link for the company, with molten aluminium being delivered directly from EGA’s smelter.

Receiving aluminium as molten metal saves on both costs and environmental emissions, increasing the competitiveness of the UAE aluminium fabrication industry and supporting the development of a healthy downstream sector.

Ducab Aluminium Company manufactures Electrical Conductive (EC) grade aluminium and aluminium alloy rods, wires, and bare overhead conductors. The activities at DAC will complement Ducab’s existing portfolio, which has seen the 100 per cent UAE-owned company become a global leader in the development, design, manufacture, marketing and distribution of copper and aluminium wire and cable products.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?