Qatar’s water and power grid best in the GCC


The gas-rich Emirate of Qatar, one of the economic success stories of the six member Gulf Cooperation Council has been ranked first in the GCC in terms of sufficient supplies of water and electricity, reliable network, and technical losses.

Total water production in the country increased by 6.6 per cent in the third quarter of this year compared to the third quarter of 2010.  The Qatar General Electricity and Water Corporation ( Kahramaa) held its  Corporate Performance  Review (CPR) meeting of the third quarter.

Kahramaa President, Eng Essa Hilal Al Kuwari chaired the meeting which is designed to monitor performance and review the strategic plans in line with the approved plan 2011–2016.

The meeting reviewed the results of the GCC overall benchmarking, average of 2008, 2009 and 2010. It comes within the involvement of GCC benchmarking as a modern management tool applied in the major corporations to measure performance.

Results showed that Qatar is ranked first in GCC in terms of sufficient supply (ie availability of strategic reserve), network reliability (as indicated by System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) and System Average Interruption Frequency Index (SAIFI).

SAIDI and SAIFI indicated noticeable development in the third quarter of 2011 compared with the same period of 2010. Qatar is ranked first with less technical losses.

The meeting reviewed departments’ performance and development, work progress in implemented projects, challenges they face and procedures to overcome. Electricity system peak increased by 15 per cent compared to the third quarter of 2010.Total water production increased by 6.6 during the period.

Approximately 43 per cent of the shares of the company are owned by the Government of Qatar and the remaining 57 per cent is held by institutions and private individuals.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W:

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?